Gears are not only employed in vehicles but also used in almost all the machines. Power shall be forwarded successfully through these gears and shafts. They work in pairs, and one causes multiple rotations in the other. The machine speed depends on the rotation. There are numerous varieties of gears, but many are used with the axis or shafts. The quality depends on the type of raw materials used for manufacturing it. It is better to find both with one manufacturer so that there will not be much pressure in searching. There are numerous applications of these in defense, railway, agriculture and other manufacturing sectors.
In parallel axis type, the gear and the axis of both are identical to each other. They are used in industries, automobiles and rolling mills.
• In spur, the teeth are parallel to the axis. There is a little noise while working.
• In helical the teeth are inclined to the shaft to form a helix. They are used in high speed and heavy duty with lesser noise.
• Double Helical has two sets of teeth in V shape. They are smooth, quiet and efficient.
In perpendicular axis type the shaft is perpendicular to the gear. They are used in elevators, large automobiles, and vehicle mechanism. They are smooth and quiet in operation.
• In non-intersecting gear, the shafts do not intersect with each other. Power is transmitted in right angle, and the shafts are parallel.
• In intersecting gear, the gears meet at one point. Most commonly they meet at 90 degrees. The teeth are oblique.
Planetary gear system has three components: planet, the sun, and internal gear. To get multiple speeds, these are used.
In industries and vehicles gears and shafts are used for transmitting power. They decide the speed, direction, and torque of the machine.